The North Quabbin Community Coalition is a community-wide alliance committed to improving the quality of life for all those living and working in the North Quabbin region.
Collaboration – Coordination - Advocacy
Work started by the Coalition brings over $3.2 million annually to the area in private, federal and state resources.
Promote Economic Development:
- Host for the North Quabbin Loan Fund Review Committee distributing over $400,000 capital to local business for job creation and expansion
- Host of the Invest North Quabbin (INQ) project, a regional group focused on community development
- Host agency for the North Quabbin Woods website promoting the region as a whole
- Work closely with the Department of Transitional Assistance Area Office to promote access to resources and SNAP benefits for those who qualify
- Work with Athol Credit Union as the local Community Development Financial Institution. to ensure community education of financial literacy, first time homebuyers, and wheels to work products
Support for Children & Families:
- Offer the Talking About Touching safety curriculum to all Athol area schools to 325 students
- Trainers for the Enough Abuse campaign to end child sexual abuse over 1,200 local people trained
- Host of the Children’s Health and Wellness Task Force
- Host of the annual Family Fun Day attracting 1,000 people each year
- Work with the Department of Children and Families to ensure family voice and children’s safety
Support for Youth:
- Member of the Communities that Care Coalition, Partnership for Youth Coordinating Council, and Partner with the Franklin Regional Employment Board on youth employment opportunities
- Partner with all North Quabbin schools to identify resources to support programs
- Partner with local Veterans Services as well as MA SAVE Team, and the Department of Public Health to promote access for local veterans
- Work with Montachusett Veteran’s Outreach Center to provide housing, food and basic needs support to vets
Promote Quality Local Health Care:
- Founder of local site of Community Health Center
- Partner with Heywood Healthcare on many initiatives to ensure health access for the community, and to promote the opening of the Quabbin Retreat Facility in Petersham
- Founder of Healthy Connections and later through access at the hospital
- Partner with LifePath to advocate for necessary services
- Partner with local Councils on Aging to promote programs and services
- Home delivery of 230 Thanksgiving meals
Promote Public Safety:
- Host of the Substance Abuse Prevention Task Force which convenes monthly at the Athol Police Department to partner across county lines and silos to attack the epidemic of substance abuse in North Quabbin. Currently 55 diverse members.
- Partner with The Opioid Task Force to receive the NOOR grant supporting the spread of Naloxone to local police departments and public education for life saving skills in the event of an overdose.
- Host of the North Quabbin Jail to Community Task Force which coordinated the 2016 Sequential Intercept Mapping of The Franklin County Trial Court intersections with community, public safety, Franklin County House of Corrections, treatment providers and beyond
- Host of three town National Night Out events to promote police community partnerships
- Provide assistance to municipal governments for accessing grants and leveraging funds
- Maintain a comprehensive local resource directory
- Monthly newsletter distributed to well over 1000 people a month
- Maintain Facebook and social media outlets to promote community morale and calendar of events. The NQCC calendar is shared on many websites such as the Town of Athol, Town of Orange and Petersham Common
- Advocate for critical services like transportation, access to health care and other basic needs to be available locally
- Nationally Recognized Training and Consultation of the Nurturing Families and Nurturing Fathers Curriculum, and member of the Family Nurturing Center of MA Training Team to spread the work across MA
- Provide technical assistance to over 50 non-profits, towns and schools to leverage grant funds and more
- Ensure that services are not duplicated to maximize all resources
Where Do my Dollars Go?
All of your tax-deductible donations go to support local programs, staff and projects. You may choose to make a donation of any size, or dedicate your gift in the name of a loved one.
1984 Founded as Athol Orange Health & Human Services Coalition
2007 Est. NQ Community Health Center
The North Quabbin Community Coalition has provided a community-wide alliance committed to improving the quality of life for all those living and working within the nine-town North Quabbin region for over 29 years. The model for this Coalition was developed in response to community-identified issues and is focused on developing solutions that are community driven. In a region often referred to as "resource poor", the network of health and human service providers needed to pay even more attention to the issue of collaboration in order to maximize all existing resources. The spirit of collaboration has allowed the area to develop several unique partnerships, to secure many additional resources and supports and has developed a strong coalition that fosters this growth. The Coalition serves three primary purposes within the community as follows:
Advocacy and Response to Emergent Community Issues
The Coalition serves as liaison to local legislators and helps to inform policy as to the needs of the rural community which is served.
Addressing Community Priorities
The Coalition hosts several task force groups, which serve to address local issues by engaging all stakeholders and developing local solutions to these challenges. Each Task Force serves to provide a forum for area providers to share information and to reduce duplication of services, provide community education and finally, to secure resources to address the needs within the local region.
Information Dissemination & Networking
The Coalition hosts a monthly forum to share information among service providers and to present relevant topics for discussion. The monthly newsletter also serves to support information sharing and reaches hundreds of community residents and providers. The Coalition hosts a website which features a comprehensive resource directory of area services and contact information.
Chief Tim Anderson, President - Athol Police Department
Sharon Tracy, Vice President - Quabbin Mediation
Steve Raymond, Treasurer - Athol Selectboard
Lucinda Brown - Franklin County Trial Court
John Bruinsma - Community Representative
Lt. Michael Buzzard - Salvation Army
Chief R. Dana Cooley, Jr. - Petersham Police Department
Glenn Eaton - MRPC
Lynne Feldman - LifePath
Michael Grimmer - Athol /Heywood Hospital
Pat Moore - Community Representative
Jeanette Robichaud - Athol Area YMCA
Sandi Walters - Clinical Support Options
Charles Winters - Community Representative
Heather Bialecki-Canning, Clerk - Non-Voting